Math Practice Questions
1. You need to purchase a textbook for nursing school. The book cost $80.00, and the sales tax where you are purchasing the book is 8.25%. You have $100. How much change will you receive back?
2. Your supervisor instructs you to purchase 240 pens and 6 staplers for the nurse’s station. Pens are purchase in sets of 6 for $2.35 per pack. Staplers are sold in sets of 2 for 12.95. How much will purchasing these products cost?
3. If the average person drinks 8 (8 oz.) glasses of water per day, a person who drinks 12.8 oz. of water after a morning exercise session has consumed what fraction of the daily average?
4. You invested 9,000 and received yearly interest of $450. What is your interest rate on your investment?
5. After talking with his girlfriend on the telephone long distance, a student calculates the amount of money he spent on the call. The first 20 minutes were 99 cents, and each additional minute was 10 cents. He calculated that his phone call cost $ 5.49. How long was his call?
C $80 x 0.825= $6.60, $ 80+ $6.60= $86.60, $100-$86.60= $13.40
A 240/6 = 40, 6/2=3, (40 packs of pens x $2.35 ea.) + (3 packs of staplers x $12.95 ea.) =$132.85
B 12.8/ 64 = .20. .20= 20/100, reduce 20/100 to 1/5
A 450/9000 = .05, .05 x 100= 5%
C .99 + .10 (x) = $5.49, .10 x= 5.49-.99, x= 4.50/.10, x= 45, 45+20=65 mins (Don’t forget the original 20 minutes from the flat rate of 99 cents.)
Science Practice Questions
1. Using percent of body weight calculations, which of the following categories is found in the highest concentration in the body?
2. Which of the following is not considered a major class of biological units?
3. Which of the following reactions most appropriately matches the following definition: at a state of chemical equilibrium, the product of the reaction has required almost all of the reactants.
4. In which of the following stages of glucose breakdown is the most energy produced?
Citric Acid Cycle
5. Arterioles, venules, and capillaries are collectively known as _____.
Grammar Practice Questions
For questions 1-3: Identify and correct the error in the sentence, or choose no error.
1. Lazy, careless speech is as common and annoying as a cold and should be corrected before it becomes a serious disease.
2. This type short story has appealed to readers for many years.
3. Mark Twain commented, “They spell it Vinci and pronounce it Vinchy; foreigners always spell better then they pronounce.”
For questions 4 and 5, choose the best answer.
4. In politics I’ve often asked myself, “Is it possible that both ______
sides could be right”?
sides could be rite”?
sides have been write?”
sides has been write?”
sides could be right?”
5. When I joined the staff of the newspaper, I______.
was taught to write short powerful headlines.
was taught to write short, powerful headlines.
was usually taught to write short powerful headlines.
was taught to write short; powerful headlines.
was taught to rite short, powerful, headlines.
type of instead of type